I’d been recommended to watch Game of Thrones by some friends, thankfully I have cool friends because this series is awesome! I was worried it’d be some boring medieval/Lord of the Rings type programme, not that I’m saying Lord of the Rings is boring, more so that it’d be dark and tiresome.
It is set in the fictional Seven Kingdoms of Westeros and follows the stories of multiple families and their struggles for the iron throne. I find it kinda funny that Sean Bean is in this, as it is very Lord of the Rings-esque and here he is in another medieval looking production.
Sean Bean is Lord “Ned” Stark of the North, head of the Stark. You start off with this family and soon learn of the Lannisters, an annoying wealthy family with transparent motives. Things start to get interesting when the two families meet and people start dying, injured and whatever violence occurs. Have to say, the violence in this series is epic, it’s brutality and bloodiness galore. There’s also a lot of nudity and sex scenes too, with has proved quite awkward when I’m sat in my room watching with the sound up and some chick suddenly starts moaning at the top of her voice. Lots of boobs, bums and nipples on display. But hey, it’s all contextual right.
Thrones is also stunning visually too, the art direction, costume design, set pieces and visually effects are highly commendable. The overall production of the series is really impressive. It’s estimated that the total cost of the first season is between $50-60 million. Within days of the first seasons debut, the second season was announced, with a 15% budget increase too. Game of Thrones is proving to be popular.
I’ve personally not watched a series like Game of Thrones, I feel like I’m watching a gigantic film divided into portions, rather than a segmented TV series. It’s addictive, interesting, really well-acted (in fact Peter Dinklage who plays Tyrian Lannister won a Golden Globe last year for Best Supporting Actor). Really impressive production and just generally awesome.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Iron Throne Can Be Yours – for $30K! (darkerme.com)
- TV Review: Game of Thrones Season 1 (filmblerg.com)
- Report: ‘Game of Thrones’ Sean Bean arrested for harrassing ex (todayentertainment.today.msnbc.msn.com)
- Game of Thrones, Tech Style [COMIC] (mashable.com)
- Glass and Game of Thrones (ask.metafilter.com)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ & ‘Missing’: Two Sean Bean Shockers (Spoilers!) (hollywood.com)
- More People Pirate Game of Thrones Than Watch Game of Thrones on HBO [Piracy] (gizmodo.com)
- Buy This: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Iron Throne Is For Sale! (moviesblog.mtv.com)
- In ‘Game of Thrones,’ You Win or You Buy: HBO Offers $30,000 Iron Throne Replicas (artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Game of Thrones potential spoilers – TV show vs. books (ask.metafilter.com)
- Geek Gifts: Life Size Replica Iron Throne from GAME OF THRONES (collider.com)
- 10 Best Changes Game of Thrones Made to A Clash of Kings [Daily 10] (io9.com)
- Own the Game of Thrones Iron Throne for $30,000 (newsfeed.time.com)
- An Actor’s Fantasy Role on ‘Game of Thrones’ (theroot.com)
- Winter is Here: Its Game of Thrones Month at Dungeonmastering.com from Dungeon Mastering (dungeonmastering.com)
- Pirates Love Game of Thrones (escapistmagazine.com)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ is most pirated show this season, may be most pirated show of 2012 (theverge.com)